Whenever I see a list of books, I skip over all the intro words and scroll straight to the list. If that’s you, you’ll want to click this link to be redirected to the list.
I was reading a blog post the other day and one of the comments said something about the lists of top Christian books. So, I Googled, and I landed on Amazon’s list of top 100 Christian Books. As I scrolled through, I saw only three books by authors of color. Boo to that.
But, it’s definitely something we can fix. So, I called on all of you to help compile a list of 100 Books by Christian Authors of Color, and you rose to the occasion.
I haven’t read all of the books on the list, and the list does not include the three books listed on Amazon. The list is not exhaustive, so please feel free to add your own recommendations in the comments, below. Also, if you would please share this list with your readers, that would be helpful.
And, just in case you’ve hung in there and read all the intro words, here’s the list, in no particular order:
- The Next Worship: Glorifying God in a Diverse World by Sandra Van Opstal
- The Very Good Gospel by Lisa Sharon Harper
- More than Serving Tea by Kathy Khang and Christie Heller De Leon and Asifa Dean
- More than Enchanting by Jo Saxton
- Breaking Old Rhythms by Amena Brown
- Birmingham Revolution by Edward Gilbreath
- Don’t Settle for Safe: Embracing the Uncomfortable to Become Unstoppable by Sarah Jakes Roberts and Lisa Bevere
- Roadmap to Reconciliation: Moving Communities Into Unity, Wholeness and Justice by Brenda Salter McNeil
- True Story: A Christianity Worth Believing In by James Choung
- Warrior in Pink: A Story of Cancer, Community, and the God Who Comforts by Vivian Mabuni
- Mentor for Life by Natasha Robinson
- Undivided: A Muslim Daughter, Her Christian Mother, Their Path to Peace by Patricia Raybon & Alana Raybon
- Crazy Love by Frances Chan
- Remembering Lived Lives: A Historiography from the Underside of Modernity by Michael Jimenez
- Enjoy by Trillia Newbell
- Family Driven Faith: Doing What it Takes to Raise Sons and Daughters Who Walk with God by Voddie Baucham, Jr.
- God of the Empty Handed by Jayakumar Christian
- Disunity in Christ by Christena Cleveland
- The Black Church in the African American Experience by C. Eric Lincoln and Lawrence H. Mamiya
- Race Matters by Cornell West
- Jesus and the Disinherited by Howard Thurman
- Lessons from My Hard Head by Paula Blackwell
- Overrated: Are We More in Love With the Idea of Changing the World Than Actually Changing the World? By Eugene Cho
- Prophetic Lament by Soong-Chan Rah
- Hope Springs by Kim Cash Tate
- Rescuing the Gospel from Cowboys: A Native American Expression of the Jesus Way by Richard Twiss
- Mujerista Theology by Ada Maria Isasi-Diaz
- Conquest by Andrea Smith
- Shalom and the Community of Creation: An Indigenous Vision by Randy Woodley
- A Beautiful Disaster: Finding Hope in the Midst of Brokenness by Marlena Graves
- Glory Happening: Finding the Divine in Everyday Places by Kaitlin Curtice
- Rescuing Jesus: How People of Color, Women and Queer Christians are Reclaiming Evangelicalism by Deborah Jian Lee
- Play With Fire by Bianca Juarez Olthoff
- Trouble I’ve Seen: Changing the Way the Church Views Racism by Drew Hart
- Shalom Sistas: Living Wholeheartedly in a Brokenhearted World by Osheta Moore
- Does Jesus Really Love Me? By Jeff Chu
- Bipolar Faith by Monica A. Coleman
- Ancient Laws and Contemporary Controversies by Cheryl B. Anderson
- Reviving the Black Church: New Life for a Sacred Institution by Thabiti Anyabwile
- Readings in African American Church Music and Worship, Vols. 1 and 2 by James Abbington
- Kingdom Woman by Tony Evans and Chrystal Evans Hurst
- Bud Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis
- On Pastoring: A Short Guide to Living, Leading, and Ministering as a Pastor by HB Charles
- Rise by Trip Lee
- The High Definition Leader by Derwin L Gray
- Forgive Us: Confessions of a Compromised Faith by Multiple Authors
- Listening for God: A Minister’s Journey Through Silence and Doubt by Renita Weems
- Bounce by K. M. Jackson
- God is Stranger by Krish Kandiah
- Sanctuary of the Spirit by Steven Charleston
- Jesus Among Secular Gods: The Countercultural Claims of Christ by Ravi Zacharias
- Out of the Fog, Into the Sun: My Journey from Hinduism to Christ by Jo Kinnard
- The Good Book: Reading the Bible with Mind and Heart by Peter J. Gomes
- Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson
- Unashamed by LeCrae
- Uncommon by Tony Dungy
- The Diva Principle by Michelle McKinney Hammond
- Woman Thou Art Loosed by T. D. Jakes
- Praying from the Third Dimension by Juanita Bynum
- Listen Up, Beloved: Good News for Your Soul by Thelma Wells
- Treat Me Like a Customer: Using Lessons from Work to Succeed in Life by Louis Upkins, Jr.
- The Book of Joy: Lasting Happiness in a Changing World by Dalai Lama, Desmond Tutu, and Douglas Carlton Abrams
- Made for Goodness: A Child of God by Desmond Tutu
- The Weapon of Prayer by David Ireland
- Left to Tell by Immaculee Ilibagiza
- The Christian Imagination: Theology and the Origins of Race by Willie James Jennings
- Race: A Theological Account by J. Kameron Carter
- Dear White Christian: What Every White Christian Needs to Know About How Black Christians See, Think, & Experience Racism in America by Aaron Layton
- The Third Reconstruction: How a Moral Movement is Overcoming the Politics of Division and Fear by Rev. Dr. William J. Barber II and Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove
- Heaven is So Real by Choo Thomas and David Yonggi Cho
- And Yet, We Still Stand by Dr. Millicent Thompson
- 30 Days to Taming Your Tongue by Deborah Smith Pegues
- Happy Wives Club: One Woman’s Worldwide Search for the Secrets of a Great Marriage by Fawn Weaver
- The New Dad’s Playbook by Benjamin Watson
- The Missional Mom: Living with Purpose at Home and In the Word by Helen Lee
- The Political Disciple by Vincent Bacote
- Killing Us Softly: Reborn in the Upside-Down Image of God by Efrem Smith
- Grieving a Suicide: A Loved One’s Search for Comfort, Answers, and Hope by Al Hsu
- Blindsided by God: Disappointment, Suffering, and the Untamable Goodness of God by Peter Chin
- Sacred Pauses: Spiritual Practices for Personal Renewal by April Yamasaki
- Start, Love, Repeat: How to Stay in Love with Your Entrepreneur in a Crazy Start-up World by Dorcas Cheng-Tozun
- Successful Women Think Differently by Valorie Burton
- Naked and Unashamed: 10 Money Conversations Every Couple Must Have by Ericka Young
- The Pursuit of Purpose by Dr. Myles Munroe
- The Master’s Degree: Majoring in Your Marriage by P. B. Wilson
- Beyond Championships by Coach Dru Joyce
- The Mestizo Augustine by Justo L. Gonzalez
- Where the Cross Meets the Street by Noel Castellanos
- Embrace by Leroy Barber
- Whispers of Rest by Bonnie Gray
- Making Neighborhoods Whole: A Handbook for Christian Community Development by Dr. John M. Perkins
- The Acts of the Apostles by Osvaldo Padilla
- Faith-Rooted Organizing by Rev. Alexia Salvatierra
- God of Justice by Nikki A. Toyama-Szeto
- Race and Place by David P. Leong
- Losing Face Finding Grace by Tom Lin
- Spirituality of Gratitude by Joshua Choonmin Kang
- Culture Care by Makoto Fujimura
- Praying for Your Pastor by Eddie Byun
- Beyond Colorblind by Sarah Shin
Note: All links in this post are affiliate links.
YES SISTER! I love this so much. Bookmarking this for sure. Thank you for doing this.
Whispers of Rest and Spiritual Whitespace by Bonnie Gray. (and thank you for this awesome list!).xo
Yes! So many great ones out there! Thanks for these!
@Deidra_Riggs:disqus hey, girl!! wow!! how neat is this!!
@[email protected]:disqus thanks for thinking of me and adding me to the list, michelle! 🙂
I’d like to add my favorite, 50 for Your Future: Lessons from Down the Road by Tavis Smiley. Also, this list is terrific. My intention is to delve into it starting now!
Kendra Elliott Tillman
Love this! Thanks, Deidra 🙂
Sarah E Koenig
such a great resource, thank you!! do you have a favorite or two or three? a good place to start?
I always recommend Jesus and the Disinherited to anyone who asks.
Such an incredible list! Adding: Enough Already by Barbara Roose.
This is a great list. Everyone that I’ve interviewed for my Woman of the Word series on my blog has written a book and some appear on this list.
I plan to add many of these to my reading list and may even reach out to some of these women. Thanks for sharing; I’ll be in touch.
Let Justice Roll Down by John M Perkins
Thank you for the list/post! A life changing book for me: No Future without Forgiveness, Desmond Tutu
SUCH a good book! I quoted it in my newest book. So many good lessons in there.
YES! I go back to it often. Changed my heart.
I would love to recommend a book co-authored by my good friend who shares your name (not your spelling) and I. She is a woman of color and I am not, but we love and have learned so much from each other. Please check out http://www.onegodtwovoices.com.
Love this list! Some old favorites and a host of new gems I can’t wait to read. I am honored to have Remembering Lived Lives included! The whole aim of it was to introduce the forgotten or ignored stories of what is unfortunately still a very Eurocentric world when it comes theology or history. This list shows that obviously there is change in the air!
Thank you for this! I just purchased the books by Dr. Brenda Salter McNeil and Sandra Van Opstal. I’ll add some more to my wish lists!
Oh, well done! Thanks, Deidra.
Horace Williams Jr
It looks like you have done some excellent research here Deidra. I published my first book last December. As an unknown author, I have my work in front of me, but I felt God leading me to write this book on prayer. I hope you are blessed and inspired to pray with purpose as you read my short book. Have a fantastic weekend and may God bless you and yours in all your endeavors. You can get your copy here. https://www.pleasingtothepotter.com/book-power-prayer/
Janet from FL
I am saving this list! Thank you. “Detours” by Tony Evans is really good!
Adding a few of these to my wish list. Bianca’s book is on my nightstand, and I loved seeing a Latina here. Thanks for sharing this invaluable resource with us, friend. I would suggest Fervent by Priscilla Shirer, and Leadership as an Identity by Crawford Loritts.
Novels by Michelle Andrea Bowen, “Whose Gospel” by Rev. James Forbes (his brother, also a pastor, Rev David Forbes Jr, was a founding member of SNCC), and I can’t remember the name of the novelist whose books are set among a multicultural urban women’s Bible study gorup.
This just made my day!
Tarka Allen Strachan
Great list! Thanks for this 🙂
Amazing! You do not know how much I needed this – Thank you and God Bless <3
Awesome list! I’ll add “Will You Sit Here and Die?” by Apostle Robbin Hargrove. It’s on Amazon and it’s so motivating. When you feel like you have no options to move forward this book will help you get moving again in the right direction. I believe it’s on Amazon too.
Love this list! Any recommendations for daily devotionals written by people of color?